Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Blog 3

After taking the Self-Assessment I would say that I have exceptional preventative practices for the following reasons; I have my yearly mammograms, pap smears, eye checkups and dental cleanings. I have good relationships with my doctors and I do not hesitate to see them if I have any health concern, new symptom, etc. In addition, I eat healthy including in my diet balanced servings and varieties of salads, fruits, steamed or raw vegetables, and grains. I do occasionally have sweets but only in moderation.
Also, I have become more aware of the dangers of stress so I have also been working on lowering my stresses. For those stresses that I must allow in my life, I have changed my attitude towards them. Essentially I am practicing a new attitude approach whereby I only concern myself with those things that are in my power to control and letting go or praying about the rest. Also, taking one day at a time is my new mantra these days! It has made a huge and positive change in reaching my stress level goals!
Some ways in which I could improve my health, is by doing more walking. I enjoy walking and lately have slacked off from walking as my favorite form of exercise. Also, soon I will be working part-time at a local college where I can use their fitness facility for free. I will start a strength training program and do some cardio too. I am really looking forward to resuming these exercises because for me, exercising has never been a chore. I love it!

3 comments:

  1. Good post Nora. I agree with you, I love to exercise. I makes me feel so much better when I exercise, such a great stress reliever. Many times I literally drag myself out of bed to work out, but once I do it, I feel so engergized and ready to get my day started. As I have gotten older, I too have turned to my religion more than in my younger years. The power of prayer is tremendous. Julie Diaz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nora, it is very fortunate that you are one of those people who find healthy living fairly easy. I wish that I could say that I love to exercise but I don't. On the occasional times that I do convince myself to exercise I have no enjoyment in it whatsoever. Most of the time I do feel better after a workout but it just is not enough for me to enjoy doing the exercise. I also wish that I could say that I eat a balanced diet but again, I don't. There are many excuses why I don't, not enough time/money/availability but these are excuses. I can say that I have a hard time with vegetables because growing up our veggies were mostly corn, green beans, potatoes and sometimes peas. I have tried to venture out and try new vegetables but it can be overwhelming and expensive to try things that you just don't care for and then have to throw out food. Wasting money is worse to me than not getting those veggies. I think that it is wonderful that you are trying to let go of the things in your life that you can't change. It isn't easy but if you can learn to do it, you will be much better off. It just is not worth my, or anyones, misery to constantly stress about things in our lives that we have no control over. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nora,

    Let go and let God, is a rule that everyone should live by. It is very ineffective to try and change something that is beyond your control. During those stressful times you just kind of have to let things just take their course. Some people can easily do this while others can't. Its a thing to where people feel that they have to try and control every situtation. Many of us can reduce a great deal of unsuccessful battles with demons by just simply falling back and let things come as they may. People are oftentimes afraid of doing this because they may think it shows signs of failure. To me, it doesn't show failure but refusal to work myself into a tizzy by things that I know I can overcome. If people seriously realized ways to reduce stress, there wouldn't be nearly as many behavioral health cases out there due to stress.

    ReplyDelete