What health issues you are most concerned about? Cervical Cancer.
Why? “Every year in the United States, about 11,000 women learn they have invasive cervical cancer. Most of these women are younger than 55.” http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/cervix
Also, for personal reasons. I have lost my grandmother and a dear friend and young mother to cervical cancer. This is a disease much like breast cancer where early detection is the key to survival. Regular pap smears is the best way to detect any abnormal pre-cancerous or cancerous cells.
Interviewee #1: 20 year old white female, concerned with the HPV or the human papilloma viruses. First diagnosed with HPV about a year ago and now must have pap smears 3-4 times a year. Concerned about catching any pre-cancerous or cancerous cells early enough to take the steps necessary to remove it before it becomes more invasive.
Interviewee#2: 72 year old Spanish female, concerned with diabetes. First diagnosed five years ago and now must check her blood sugar levels twice a day. Concerned about immune system becoming degraded as a result of her diabetes, which would mean she would become susceptible to every germ, bacteria or virus. Also concerned that she lacks the resources to manage and control her diabetes due to lack of health care insurance, other than Medicare. It’s the “out-of-pocket” expenses that have her concerned the most, due to her low income from Social Security.
Conclusion:
My health concern was similar to the health concern of my first interviewee, but not similar with my second interviewee. Obviously, there is a difference of diseases here but the commonality we share is the fear of losing our lives, or quality of lives, to a disease that is not caught in time, or managed well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Nora,
ReplyDeleteI can understand your concern with cervical cancer, especially since your grandmother fell ill to the disease. It is always good to know and be aware of the medical history in your family. It is indeed education of the public that will help to treat the disease treated early. Im sure glad that a pap smear is a standardized test done at the time of the well womens exam. It only goes to show that prevention is the KEY. Judy Martinez
It’s good that you are aware of your family history of cervical cancer. Being a healthy woman is a constant battle! Yearly exams and at times blood tests are necessary to maintain good health. Julie Diaz
ReplyDeleteNora,
ReplyDeleteI attended my well woman exam with a new physician a few weeks ago after skipping a year due to lack of finances and insurance. I have a history of reproductive disease and this visit with my new physician was the first time I was posed with the question, "Would you like the HPV vaccine?". Since I had never been asked that by my previous physician I assumed I was out of the age range but now know I am not. I am educating myself about the vaccine and greatly considering it. I am saddened that the issue and prevention are under-represented. Truth and education will drive the change needed. Continue to share your story; you never know who may be listening.
Amanda
Nora,
ReplyDeleteI agree with your concern about cervical cancer. It is sad to see so many young women affected with this disease. Unforuntatly I think a lot of young women are 'embarassed' to go for a well woman check up, which increases the severity of these diseases when they are not caught in the early stages. I think it is important for us all to advocate to our friends, relatives and any other women we care about to encourage them to have routine checkups.
Cervical cancer is also a concern I have for my 17 year old daughter. When the Gardisal vaccine was first introduced as being mandatory for your girls I was absolutely livid. Having a teenager I inquired with the school nurse as well as my daughters doctor. Both agreed that it was a good start in preventing this disease. However, I believe that constant sexual eduaction on HPV and cervical cancer is an absolute must.
ReplyDeleteHi Nora,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that cervical cancer is preventable. And the vaccine is great but limited. I was told by my OBGYN that HPV virus is like a flu virus that can stay in the cervical area for long period of time and having high folic acid in the diet can help preventing the virus to penetrate to the tissue and cause cancer. Have you heard this? Also, the type of pap smear test has to be the thin prep because the traditional pap smear test sometimes will not pick up the virus. About diabetes, the increase rate of obesity in this country also result to this disease. There are several research show that the presence of gum disease can lead to diabetes and heart disease.