Monday, November 2, 2009

Blog #10 "Question #2"


What factors can influence women to adopt healthier lifestyles and engage in preventative behaviors so as to reduce their risks of cardiovascular disease and cancer?
According to our text, genetics and lifestyle are major factors to chronic diseases. (Alexander, LaRosa, Bader, & Garfield, 2010, p. 264). I have been managing cholesterol for a few years now, with medicine, exercise and diet. My doctor and I had a very difficult time finding just the right medication. At one point my cholesterol had gone as high as 350 mg/dl and my triglycerides were about the same. I was very worry. My doctor suggested lowering my stress level, which at that point in time was very high due to my job. I made some drastic changes in my life starting with resigning from my high stress job and took a less stressful job. I also revised my diet of what I ate as well as when I ate (nothing after 7pm). Finally, after years of trial and error, my doctor & I finally found a healthy alternative to the statin family of cholesterol drugs when my doctor put me on Niacin 1000 Mg. twice a day, and Welchol. What a huge difference, and no negative side effects. I now feel that I have decreased my risk for developing Cardiovascular Disease (CVD). I feel in charge of my health thanks to having a good relationship with my doctor and working together with her. I am finally back on track!


Alexander, L.L., LaRosa, J. H., Bader, H. & Garfield, S. (2010). New dimensions in women’s health. (5the Ed.). Cardiovascular disease. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you took an active role in your own health. I see so many patients in the hospital because they choose not to eat healthier or take their medications regularly. Then they end up in the Emergency Room facing renal failure, stroke or a heart attack. It is not the doctor's responsiblity to make sure that all patients follow their instructions. The patients have to take in interest in their own health and choose to live and not die.

    Samisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nora,
    I totally agree with you that it is important that you have to take charge of your health. Living in America, we have so much advantage on how we can prevent health problems such as CVD or stroke because we have lots of resources that we can follow or search but the most important is making the move to healthier lifestyle unless genetics is something to consider. I am glad that finally you and your doctor found the right medicine for you.

    ReplyDelete